Monday, February 4, 2008

18 and ONE!!

I woke up at 540am today. Nick and I met downstairs a little after 6 and headed to the subway. It's about a 45 minute ride to Itaewon. Unfortunately, Rocky Mountain Tavern (a local Canadian sports pub) was the closest, and only, place we knew of showing the Super Bowl. That's right folks. I just had my very first Super Bowl MONDAY.

It was definitely different waking up early for the big game. The pub served their famous "Truck Stop Breakfast" which consisted of eggs, homefries, bacon, toast and coffee. It may sound pretty run of the mill, but over here, there aren't many places that serve an American breakfast like that.

The first quarter was pretty rough. They were streaming the Super Bowl from a website and it was constantly freezing. We missed almost every play and just saw the moments in between plays. "Hey look, it's first and ten. Something must've happened on that last play." After the quarter, they switched to a Korean website that was showing the game. It was a much better picture and no more freezing. Of course, that meant no Super Bowl commercials, but that's a small price to pay to see the big game, and since the place was so packed and loud, we couldn't hear much anyway.

It's always hard to root for the Giants. As an Eagles fan, you're conditioned to hate them, but I hate the Patriots even more. This was, by far, the best Super Bowl in a few years. There were a few Pats fans at the pub, but the place EXPLODED when Manning hit that game winning touchdown in the last 35 seconds...yes, apparently Eli really is a Manning after all.

To top it off, as we were leaving the pub, I was celebrating with a couple guys and mentioned how it is hard to cheer for the Giants since I'm an Eagles fan. The one guy just froze, looked at me and yelled, "oooooooooh!" and we all know what comes next.......E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!! Turns out he was in the same boat as me. We exchanged the usual, "There's always next year," and headed out. It had been a good morning, but it was almost 1pm, and Nick and I had class in a few hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

going to lie...I just read this post now. But I am going to say, it gave me the chills. There is just something about the superbowl. But not only that...finding a connection that runs deeper than that, the Eagles. Reading the chant itself just made me excited for the next time I get to run into an Eagles fan. There's not many of them in Costa Rica either. Well, the truth be known...there IS always next year.