Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fourth of July

Well, this is long overdue, but I thought I'd put up a post about my July 4th in Korea. This is my first 4th outside of the country. I spent most of my day trying to indoctrinate my students about the awesomeness of the USA. We talked about freedom and then made some Stars and Stripes vests in art class.


Of course, before we could make our vests, we had to listen to the national anthem. I couldn't teach these guys to sing it (they're a little too young) so we just listened to it with our hands over our hearts. I tried to get a moment of silence out of them, but as you'll see, that was pretty much impossible. Click HERE to watch the video (Sorry for the link. I haven't been able to get the video loaded onto this page). I would like to say that I was a bit annoyed at trying to find a respectable version of the anthem online. Go to YouTube and search "Star Spangled Banner." You get a thousand versions of people singing it like it's "I Believe I Can Fly." O-o-o-oh say can you see-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee. Come on folks. This is a song about a battle for our country's freedom, not your tryout for American friggin' Idol.

But I digress....After work, I met Trash and we decided to have dinner at the most American place we could find. That's right. We went to HOOTERS. hahaha.



I still love those wings. Anyway, after that, we took the bus back to my apartment, and for once, living next to the military base really paid off. The American Military was setting off huge fireworks in the middle of the base and they were easily visible on the ride to my apartment.

Overall, it was a pretty good Fourth, but it'd be hard to top last year....seeing the premier of Transformers knowing I'd be leaving the country soon ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, are you sure you're teaching English over there? Quote "I thought I'd put up a post my about july 4th"....I think it's time to come home :-). What a cute video! The kids are adorable!
~mom

Sir Jefferson of Moses said...

There is nothing wrong with that statement. The holiday can be called "The Fourth of July" or simply referred to as the date "July 4th." There's no error.

Sir Jefferson of Moses said...

ok, i caught the mistake you meant. i guess i'm still a little lysdexic sometimes ;)