Saturday, July 28, 2007

Ah, Wilderness Camp

As most know, this is the first time since 2000 I haven't spent a summer at camp and the first time since 2001 I'm not at Spruce Lake. I knew it's be kinda hard, but at times it's been pretty bad. I really do miss camp. It was kind of bittersweet visiting when I did. Of course, I want camp to run smoothly. Camp can be one of the most important thing that happens to a kid. It was for me. The thing is, it's hard to see something run so smoothly without you after you spend 6 years pouring your heart and soul into it. I guess that's kind of selfish, but it was hard to see everything run so well without me. It even made me wonder if spending all those years there had made any kind of difference. Then today I got an email from one of my all-time favorite campers. He was in my tent both years I was a counselor, and we had many talks while I was the head counselor (good and bad). Well, he took the time to get my email from the new head counselor to let me know how much he missed me this summer. One of the most moving emails I've ever received, among other things he said,

"Jeff Moses I never thought last year would be the last year I'd see you....I just really wanted to email you and let you know that you've helped me alot in my walk with Christ, and life in general and I wanted to thank you. Fireside wasn't the same without you, the entire camp wasn't the same."

It just felt really good to know that my time at camp made that big of a difference in at least one kid's life. Who knows. Maybe there were more. He wants to hang out when I move home. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

No comments: