Thursday, December 6, 2007

Wonderful Monotony

Ya know, you move to a foreign country and expect everything to be an adventure. The truth is, I have this undeniable tendency to get into a monotonous routine. I try to wake up early. I go to the gym. I make lunch, watch some tv and then head to work. I teach. I come home, read, watch tv, talk to people online, maybe hang out with some other teachers and head to bed....then, I repeat. Sometimes I mix up the order a bit. Every now and then I throw something extra into the weekday mix....breakfast with Pastor Robert....lunch with Lara or JoAnn....but it's mostly the same. On the weekends, I usually try to get a taco or a real burger, hang out with those girls from Yonsei, check out some punk rock bands and go to church on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong. Life over here is good, and sometimes I get to do really cool stuff I'd never be able to do in the States. The funny thing is that I've gotten used to my schedule. I don't always feel like I'm living in a foreign country anymore (though there are definitely moments I wish everyone spoke English). I've heard 6 months is the turning point for most people. Either they start counting down the days until they're heading home or they start to feel like they have a home/life where they are. I've been here for 5 months, and while I know I could never live in Korea for my whole life, I'm really content with my life here for the time being. I have 15 months left until I'm planning to leave my job and the country. I'm really looking forward to this next year and a half.

Oh, and it's snowing in Seoul right now. That's kinda cool :)

1 comment:

nessa said...

no i read your blog before i posted that. i mentioned that in the post, but i had been thinking about it and talking with a few about it for a little while. so i decided to post it on my blog for all the world to see those thoughts.