Monday, January 14, 2008

Bloody Immigration Office!!

Despite my last post, there are still definitely times where I know I'm a foreigner. As many know, I lost my passport a while back. I have a new one now. My old passport had my E-2 Working Visa stamp. I asked my current and soon-to-be bosses if I needed to go to immigration to get a new stamp on my passport. They both said yes.

Today was the last day of my 4 day weekend. I went to the Immigration Office. I took a number right when I got there. It was 644, and they were on number 403. At that moment, I knew my last day of vacation wouldn't be very enjoyable. I spent 3 hours waiting for my number to be called (I thought there was going to be a riot at one point. The computerized number system crashed suddenly and people who were waiting started to freak out!). Luckily, I'm reading 1984 and had brought it with me.

When the time finally came for my number to be called, I was so excited. I'd waited for 3 hours but would finally accomplish something....I thought. I got to the desk and was informed that everything is computerized now. The Korean Government knows that I've been issued a new passport. They have my alien registration number, old passport number, new passport number and working visa number in their central system. Since I have an Alien Registration Card/ID, I don't need anything new physically stamped on my visa. I felt so defeated.

I'm trying to be more optimistic these days so I keep telling myself that at least I know everything is worked out. The hard thing to swallow is that I need to go back in about 5 weeks to get a completely new E-2 Visa because I'm starting a new job. I really DO need to go for that one. I hope the line is shorter.

No comments: