Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Back From the Silence

It's been over two weeks since my last post. I think that's the longest I've gone since I started this thing. So much has been happening that I've been too busy, and stressed, to take time to sit down and write. Of course, that means there's a lot to talk about. I'm just going to give some simple overviews.

I encountered some huge problems getting a new working visa for my new job. Korea has implemented a bunch of new laws/requirements to get a visa (very needed, but kind of overkill). I thought I was going to have to leave the country for a while before I could come back to work. Thankfully, my parents are amazing. Dad took a day off work and he, and Mom drove to Harrisburg to go to the State Police Barracks and the State Department office to get paperwork that, otherwise, would have taken far too long to get. All of my documents landed in Korea this morning and should be at The Little School (my kindergarten) by tomorrow or the next day. That is a tremendous load off my mind.

The new job has been very challenging. I mean, it's kindergarten so the material we're covering is not, in any way, difficult. However, it's new to me so I don't really know the methods or routines the kids are used to. Monday and Tuesday were pretty rough. I felt really bad for my Korean partner. The only way things were getting accomplished was when she was doing more than her share. Today went much better though. I was able to stretch the material for entire periods, and the kids seemed to be having fun. I actually enjoyed work today :)

These kindergarten kids are a lot of fun. Part of it is because they are the BEST behaved kindergarten students in the history of the world. Korean children are usually pretty disciplined and these kids come from the most affluent homes in Korea. There are so many funny things that happen every day while I'm at work that I couldn't possibly write them all....but prepared to hear about a lot of them.

Other than that, things are pretty normal. I've moved into my new apartment (I'll put up photos or a video tour next week sometime). Will is living with me for this last week before he moves to Australia. I'm still going to shows every weekend and have met a lot of people. I'm having a bbq here this weekend with a bunch of friends. I mean, basically, life here has become very similar to what it was at home. Sometimes, I forget I live in Korea.

No comments: